Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Urban Decay's 24/7 Liner or MAC's Technakohl


Over the course of the last couple of months I've been testing out a new eyeliner: Urban Decay's 24/7 Liner in Perversion. If you are at all familiar with the eyeliner world, Urban Decay's 24/7 Liner is pretty much everyone's holy grail.
 
Now if you are familiar with my blog, you know that I completely adore MAC's Techankohl eyeliner in Graphblack. It was the first black eyeliner I've ever used consistently, and obviously, the first high-end eyeliner I've ever used. I could go on and on about how amazing this eyeliner has been for me over the course of the last year and a half.

But I was beyond curious to see what all the hype over the 24/7 Liner was.

Source


Here are my thoughts on the Urban Decay pencil:

It's super creamy, super black, and goes on effortlessly. I've said in the past how impressed I was with the Technakohl liner being so effortless. The 24/7 Liner is easily the most effortless eyeliner I'll probably ever use. It's so black and pigmented, I literally can't explain it. It's the most dramatic black you can think of. I once that the MAC Graphblack was black, but it's a much softer, grayer black in comparison (both are good, it just depends on what look you are going for).

So while I was majorly impressed with the depth of color, ease of use, ability to get both a precise and soft line, there were some major drawbacks to the 24/7 Liner. One of the biggest problems: the fact it needs sharpening. I didn't know my hatred for sharpening eyeliner until it flaked off and stained a favorite shirt of mine. That was beyond annoying, let me tell you. I also realized that the staying power was not my favorite. I had my hopes up because I swatched it on my hand and it stayed on...even after a shower! That's impressive! But on my eyes, it would somehow wind up all below my eyes, my nose, my inner corner...everywhere. I don't touch my eyes. It was August and September when I was wearing it, so it was hot. But if an eyeliner can't hold up to August heat, I don't think it deserves a place in my makeup routine...especially if it's $19.

Oh and another really annoying problem with this eyeliner? It would somehow find a way to get stuck in my lashes, and then when I'd go to curl them, it would rip them out. Yet another huge downside of a super creamy formula.

In case you are wondering, I eventually got so fed up with dark black goop being all over my face, that I switched back to my deeply loved MAC Technakohl Liner in Graphblack. Yes, it's not as black as the Perversion liner (the only thing that the Urban Decay kind had over my MAC favorite). But it's easier to layer on. I don't have to be as careful. My eyes can be as watery and sweaty as they like, and still have the eyeliner on at the end of a 12 hour day. It's easy to remove with a good makeup wipe, it doesn't rip out my eyelashes, and my favorite thing, it doesn't need sharpening. Plus, it's $16 and part of the Back to MAC program.
Source
I know that a lot of people would disagree with me, and maybe testing it in the hotter, more humid parts of summer wasn't so smart, but now I can't imagine not using my Technakohl liner.

I do plan in the future to try the NARS eyeliner that's in the mechanical pencil form. Also, feel free to recommend your favorites!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment