As with any trip to Target, last week I picked up a few things I had no intention of buying. One of those things, was Maybelline’s newest mascara, The Rocket. See, I wasn’t intending to pick it up for a few reasons. First, I’m definitely enjoying my Covergirl Clump Crusher mascara. It’s been awesome to use and I really like the results I get. It may not be my favorite when it’s compared to Maybelline’s Cat Eyes mascara, but it’s still really good.
I also watched a few first impressions videos about The Rocket mascara and honestly, wasn’t very impressed with what the formula looked like, and the results. It looks essentially like Maybelline’s version of the Last Blast from Covergirl (big plastic wand, very wet and clumpy formula). And while I love big dramatic lashes (it’s funny because they are the one thing that I love to be dramatic), it’s not worth the mess that a formula that’s clumpy and wet results in.
But it was calling me and the packaging sold me a little too (I honestly hate the packaging of the Clump Crusher). I find it extremely boring. Maybelline always wins when it comes to packaging in mascara. Here is the description Target’s website provided about the mascara:
“Explosive volume in rocket time! Bigger, smoother lashes. Now, the most explosive, beautiful lashes ever! Volum' Express The Rocket Mascara's patented supersonic brush with micro bristles loads on big, sleek volume instantly. Our fast-glide formula keeps lashes smooth. Zero clumps guaranteed!”
- Wet. And I hated it. It got everywhere. Below my eyes, on my lids. Everywhere but the lashes.
- The brush is too big to coat the lashes well. I think the curved wands from my last two mascaras spoil me. But this seemed impossible.
- Did I mention it was so wet that it took forever to dry? I was afraid to sneeze because I thought it’d somehow end up on my forehead.
- It washed off pretty well with my Simple wipes though.
Despite these less than impressive results, I went back the next few days and tried again. Day 2 was much the same. I wanted nothing more than to go back to my Clump Crusher mascara, cutting my losses with The Rocket. Day 3 however, I noticed a significant difference. Maybe my lashes were curled differently (let’s just say I’m struggling a tad with my MAC one. It seems to curl too much, like at a 90 degree angle!), but the process went so much smoother and the results were ones that I actually loved!
- The volume was fantastic. My lashes were dramatic and black! Long and pretty! Not as defined as other mascaras, but the length and volume were definitely there!
- Not nearly as much clumpiness as before!
- It was still wet and managed to coat my nose and eyelid, but the control seemed much better.
- Did I mention my lashes looked fantastic?
- It took one coat. One. Not ten minutes like sometimes I feel the Clump Crusher takes to get my lashes looking dramatic.
So as you can see, there are some mixed results. I’ve had two days of ehhh and two days of amazing. I’ll keep using it and keep you posted about my final thoughts on this mascara.
Have you tried it? Any thoughts? What’s your go to drugstore brand for mascara?