Tuesday, January 29, 2013

First Impression of the ELF Mineral Infused Face Primer


So recently I ran out of my Sephora perfecting face primer and I was stuck with my hands tied. I wanted to try something new (not that I didn’t like the Sephora one, which was pretty good for the $17 price), but I just wanted to explore more in the face primer world. Honestly, I haven’t always been sold on face primer. But I put it on anyway to help my face powder (the only type of foundation I have been wearing these days) stay longer and smoother and look like cakey.

Well, I was caught running out of primer without the time or the money to head to Sephora and Ulta to pick a Smashbox, Two Faced, or Tarte one. After some researching online, I decided to pick up the Elf Mineral Infused Face Primer. It was $6, a little bit pricier for something from Elf, but I was super excited to try it.

Packaging

The first thing I noticed about the primer was the fact the outside of the bottle was oily. Like it was leaking out of somewhere. That wasn’t pleasant. So I’ve already decided if I have to travel with it, I’m going to have to put it in a little baggie so the rest of my stuff isn’t coated in the primer as well. In terms of the rest of the packaging, I love the pump top. It’s really convenient to get the right amount (usually a pea size). I think the packaging just looks really classy and pretty for a drugstore product that costs $6.

Texture

The primer itself is a lot like the Sephora one I used previously, and much like what I assume the Smashbox primer is like. It’s the clear, silicone type that feels really silky and smooth (I have yet to try a cream like texture of a primer, so if you have tried both, let me know which one you like better!). It’s very smooth, however it has a more gel like texture than the Sephora. It’s not as silky, and I find I have to use slightly more when applying it to my face.

Wear

I’ve actually found that the Elf Mineral Infused Face primer is not as oily as the Sephora one. My face doesn’t feel as slick, it feels more matte. That’s a huge plus for me. I’m not sure about the wear out of it, but I’d say my powder stays on for about 3-4 before needing more application.

Overall Impression

So far I really like it! For the price, it really can’t be beat. The packaging is cute (I’m hoping the leaking is just this bottle) and it works in the same exact way as the Sephora version.

Have you ever tried this face primer? Or any others from the drugstore? Do you think face primers are important? 

No comments:

Post a Comment