Monday, February 11, 2013

How I Met Him


Hey everyone!

So in honor of this week being Valentine’s Day week, I thought I would do some self-indulgent sharing about my relationship with my boyfriend. If you dislike sappy love stories, this may not be the post for you. But I know I love reading about romance and things like that, particularly around Valentine’s Day, so I thought some might be in the mood for a story like this.

It was Friday, the end of the second week of my sophomore year of college. I was not in the best mood. I was coming down with one my annual Labor Day weekend colds that makes my nose stuffy and runny and my throat sore. To make matters worse, the night before I had burnt my tongue to a crisp (probably the worse burn of my life) on hot chocolate. It was also the first day of my period (insert cramps, exhaustion, and crankiness). To say that I just wanted to get my class over with and go home was an understatement. I threw on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt with my college’s name on it, and went to lunch with my roommate and of our friends. This had become our routine the first two weeks of the semester. They would come back to my dorm room after class and then we’d head over to the dining hall for lunch, which my class immediately followed.

It was pretty much like any other lunch. The four of us sat a large, six person table and we just sat there enjoying our food (I have no clue what I was eating, but I know I couldn’t taste because of my stuffy nose and that my tongue hurt). Not too far into lunch, my roommate noticed a guy, Francisco (who had actually met a few days before briefly in the dorm), sitting alone. My roommate, who hated seeing anyone sitting alone at the dining hall, instantly urged our friend Nate, to invite Francisco over.

“Nate! Francisco’s alone! Call him over.” Nate nodded and turned around and called Francisco’s name and jerked his head in the direction of our table. “Come sit with us.”

Francisco, looking up kind of surprised, nodded and picked up his tray and carried it over. Our fourth friend that was sitting with us had her keys and wallet in the empty chair next to her, so Francisco sat in the empty chair next to my seat. Lunch went on as normal for a few more minutes or so. I remember I asked Francisco some random, polite question to make him feel welcomed, and as he was answering, I finally glanced in his direction (I have no clue why, probably being shy, but I hadn’t yet looked at him). I have no clue what he was saying (and neither does he actually looking back on it), but it was this moment that kind of changed everything.

“Oh my god! You have the most gorgeous eyes I’ve ever seen!” Honestly, the way he reacted was like something out a movie. He literally looked like he had seen a ghost. He had jerked backward, away from me, and had grabbed his chest like he was having a heart attack. Looking back, he says that that moment was one of the most powerful of his life. I don’t know what he exactly means by that, but I’ve honestly never seen anyone react that way to my greenish-blueish-hazel eyes before.

I honestly have no clue what I said back to him. I remember feeling really nervous and shy. I know my face turned at least ten shades of red. I think I stammered thanks and laughed shyly back.

After that, everything changed. I became really aware of him, eating his lunch, as he was trying to catch my glances and attention. I don’t know what happened, but soon (being college-aged boys), Nate and him got into a flirting contest. Nate’s was all jokingly on my friend. Francisco’s started flirting jokingly with mebut over the course of a few minutes, I could tell the flirting was actual flirting, not jokingly at all. He ended up holding my hand. He whispered something really sweet about my eyes in Spanish in my ear. And I definitely knew he was serious a few minutes later when he whispered in my ear: “Are you seeing anyone?”

Thinking back to that day, I get goosebumps thinking about that. I remember gauging my reaction in my head. If I said yes he would leave me alone. Nothing would happen. I wouldn’t have to worry about moving out of my comfort zone at all. If I said noI wasn’t sure what would happen, but it would definitely encourage him to keep doing what he was doing. Finally, I responded by shaking my head and whispering a simple no. He definitely seemed pleased by that.

He then asked me, as the other three were all focused on some random conversation they were having, if he could kiss me. Being incredibly stunned and shy (confession time: I had never been kissed before!) I stalled and said, “Not here!”

I told him that because I wasn’t sure yet if I wanted to kiss him! And I definitely didn’t want to do it in the dining hall!! Rolling his eyes he responded, “Of course not here!”

Lunch went by in a blur the rest of the time. I remember not being able to finish whatever I was eating. I remember wondering if he was actually going to try to kiss me later. And I remember all of us picking up our trays and walking them over to the area you put them when you are done. As my friends departed toward my dorm, I turned to walk to the parking lot to my car to go to class. Francisco lived in the dorm in that direction, so he walked with me. I remember being so nervous!

We stopped in front of the stairs to his dorm. He pulled me in for a big hug, which I remember not expecting at all, but felt so right in! It’s funny, we had only known each other thirty minutes tops, and being a non-touchy feeling person (seriously, hugs are the most awkward thing for me), but I loved that hug. It felt safe and nice and warm. It was a pretty late summer afternoon. Probably in the 80’s at least. I remember the sun shining down hard on us. I remember noticing the big height difference between us (I’m 4 foot 11 and he is 5 foot 10). And that’s when it happened.

He pulled back slightly, to look down at me. I remember seeing the look of concentration on his face. The look of determination and excitement. And that’s when it happened. He leaned down, tilted his head slightly to the right, and kissed me! I remember thinking: A) Oh no! I have a cold and now he is going to get sick! B.) Close your eyes! You’re being a creeper! C.) My first kiss!!!!!!

It was amazing. Truly amazing. The kiss honestly seemed to last forever. I remember a group of people passing by and feel slightly embarrassed. It was sweet and gentle, and even though we had just met, passionate. He then hugged me again, and in a husky voice bid me a good weekend.

I remember getting to my car and just sitting there for a few minutes thinking about this guy I had just met kissing me! I felt my lips, which were slightly damp from him. I remember touching them. It was just surreal!

I didn’t focus in class that day to say the least. Or the ride home. Or during my second trip ever to Ikea that evening (which you know something is a big deal when you can't get focused on a trip to Ikea. That place is seriously heaven).

At that time, I didn't know exactly what he would mean to me. I wasn't sure if it was just a random kiss or if it was going to lead to something more...meaning a relationship. Everything was so new and scary. I can definitely say though, that day changed my life in ways I didn't even realize at that moment.

Does Valentine's Day make you think back to the early parts of your relationship? Do you and your boyfriend/girlfriend like reminicing or do you like staying in the present?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment