Monday, January 27, 2014

Review of Stila CC Color Correcting Cream

Hi Guys!

A couple of weeks ago I had a pretty big Sephora gift card haul that I talked about on the blog.



One of the most exciting things that I picked up was the Stila CC Cream. To be honest, before the makeup artist suggested this product, I had never even heard of it. And besides the Kitten eyeshadow (which I adore), is the only Stila product I've even tried. So I was a little skeptical of using it.

I've now used it for about two weeks, so I thought that was enough time to give a pretty good review of my thoughts about it.



So according to the Sephora website, the description says that this CC cream is a "skincare meets cosmetics hybrid, offering the ultimate in color correction while creating a flawless, natural looking complexion."

It also says that this CC cream has:

-SPF 20 with broad spectrum protection

-Color corrects to reduce hyperpigmentation

-Softens fine lines and wrinkles

-Adapts to skintone

-72 hours of hydration

-Brighter, more youthful looking skin

-Without Parabens

-Oil Free

-Sheer-medium buildable coverage

-Matte to Satin Finish

So as you can see, that's a lot of stuff.

First Impressions



So when I first tried this, I wasn't really impressed. See, I have pretty oily skin. I wouldn't say it's as bad right now as the height of July, but I can still get pretty oily if I don't use Urban DeSlick spray or powder.

And the very first thing I noticed when she put it on me in Sephora, was how oily it is upon application. However, when she set it with powder, that went away instantly, which was nice. It became a very nice matte finish. In fact, it was even less oily than the Garnier BB Cream for Combination to Oily skin that I had been using previously.

So as far as the application goes, the description isn't lying when it says that it comes out green. It does, just like one of the primers that is green. The makeup artist told me that this would be great on the redness in my cheeks and nose area. From what she told me and from what I've observed in using it, it works much better if you kind of warm it up and rub it in place for a couple seconds before spreading it. The makeup artist claimed that this was to perfectly match to your skintone, and maybe that's true, but I see it more as just making the pigment come out instead of having the weird streaking green color correcting stuff stay caked on your face.

It's thicker than the Garnier BB Cream, but average to what I've seen from brands such as Smashbox.

This is definitely a sheer coverage CC cream. I feel like it kind of blurs and it sorta tones down my redness, but it's not medium coverage, even when layered with a second layer (I haven't tried a third layer yet because A.) it's $44, so I treat it like liquid gold and B.) it is really oily upon first application and I'm not ready to see if a third layer makes it really really really oily.

My recommendation with Stila's CC Cream, is that you find a really great coverage powder. Currently I'm using the Sephora Collection 8 Hour Mattifying Foundation (jury is out on the that as well, but that's a different review for a different day), but I've also used the MAC Stuido Fix Powder and both are really good in conjunction with the CC cream. I like to think that this CC cream is more of a color correcting primer in actuality, making your powder the real star. Which is not the purpose at all, but it's how I feel it works best. If you want light coverage, you need to use powder with it, preferably a foundation powder.

As far as scent, it smells kinda sunscreeny, but nothing obnoxious that would deter me away from this product. It fades pretty quickly. And so far it hasn't broken me out either, which is great.

Oh and in case you are curious about application, I have tried this with mattifying primers (samples of the Becca Ever Matte and the Korres Pomegranate Mattifying Primer) and using my Urban Decay De Slick spray as a base and all three work pretty equally, with my findings being that the De Slick using leaves me the most matte. Of course, no matter what primer I use, I always follow after the CC cream, powder, and blush with the De Slick spray.

I also use my fingers and haven't tried any other way of applying this. Also, I'm the color fair if that helps.

But my final thing that I have to say about this product is the price. It's $44 for 1.3 oz. That's a lot, especially considering this is sheer coverage. I'm still weighing the price, but I'm pretty sure it's not worth it. I'm not sure at this point whether I'll repurchase, but if I do (or don't), I'll let you know.

(Interested in more CC Cream reviews? Take a look at this one about Smashbox CC Cream!)








No comments:

Post a Comment