Monday, September 24, 2012

Tarte's Smooth Operator Review


So almost over a month ago I purchased Tarte’s Smooth Operator tinted moisturizer from Sephora. I had heard pretty great stuff about it on Youtube and I had just fallen in love with the Lights, Camera, Lashes!, so I wanted to try it out. Plus, Smashbox’s BB Cream at the time wasn’t really clicking with me, and I wanted to try something new.

I went to Sephora, was color matched to Agent 08 (it’s for light complexions with pink undertones, but if you look at it, it’s a lot darker than some of the medium complexion colors. It’s definitely a product that I would go into Sephora or Ulta and look at, and one that I think you need to be matched by a makeup artist).
{Source}
According to Sephora’s website, Tarte’s Smooth Operator:

·         Is SPF 20

·         Oil-free

·         Light-to-Medium Coverage

·         It’s free of parabens, synthetic fragrances, and phthalates

·         And has things in it that are supposed to make your skin look healthy and young

·         It’s 1.7 oz for $36

Here’s what I think:

Instantly compared to Smashbox’s BB cream, it was like fresh air. The cream is very light. And a little goes a long way. Unlike the BB cream, which felt like I needed more than a pea size to cover my face, Smooth Operator really only needs a pea size squeeze.

It’s easily blendable and doesn’t leave any steaks or anything funny. It has great coverage, very comparable to the BB cream, It doesn’t leave my oily skin any more oily, which was especially helpful in the 100 degree days of August. Like the BB cream, I noticed it left a sort of matte, powdery finish. I do cover my face up with my MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural to reduce oil and shine, but I noticed the matte finish before that step.

Some reviews on Sephora’s site say that there’s glitter, but I’ve never noticed any. It has a great range of shades, unlike a lot of other BB creams or tinted moisturizers.

I absolutely love that Smooth Operator is $3 cheaper than the Smashbox BB Cream and offers .7 ounces more. I know, it doesn’t seem like a big deal, but anything that is cheaper and lasts longer is a plus.

I think it has great staying-power. I’d say on me, it’s about 8 hours or so, which is all I really ask out of my makeup.

The only thing that I dislike about this product, is that after using it, I’ve had about five or six more pimples. Which, considering my skin has been really clear the last 10 months, is a bit disappointing. As a result, I’ve just made sure to give my skin a day or two a week where I either don’t put on any face makeup, or just my powder, and that when I do wear this, I make sure to really clean my face off with my Neutrogena Night Calming Towelettes.

So would I repurchase? Yes! I love this tinted moisturizer and it’s one that I love! It’s cruelty free, natural, and the container is cute too! I absolutely love Tarte and I can’t wait to try more of their products!

Update: Now a couple months later, there are a few other things I've noticed about this tinted moisturizer. First, it seems to break me out after wearing it, no matter what. And not just a tiny little pimple. I got pretty much a quarter size one on my cheek, which was frustrating (and painful!!). So now I pretty much avoid it. I'd still be tempted to wear it when I'm looking for better coverage, but it's really not worth breaking out over.

Do you have a favorite face product? Ever tried any of Tarte’s other products, and if so, do you have recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment