Friday, July 19, 2013

Review of L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes Excess Mascara


Hey guys!

I’ve been feeling under the weather the past few weeks, so blogging has kind of gone by the wayside. However, in that time I did try out a new mascara that I wanted to review for you guys!

As you know, I’m a pretty huge fan of L’Oreal mascaras, especially the original Voluminous Million Lashes and Voluminous Carbon Black.

So when I saw the new Voluminous Million Lashes Excess, I was instantly intrigued to say the least, since it’s the newer version apparently of the one that I was obsessed with last summer. Plus it has red packaging, which got me.




According to L’Oreal’s website, this mascara “combines bold volume with clean definition for an excessively dramatic lash look. The brush is bigger than ever to separate and build each lash evenly from root to tip. The mascara features a built-in, anti-clump wiper that removes surplus mascara for a clean impactful effect. Plus, the ultra black formula amplifies each individual lash for a dramatic effect.”  

That sounds pretty awesome, right?

When I picked this up though, I just barely read the packaging, so I didn’t really know the sales pitch at all. I just knew that it was called Excess, so I figured it had something to do with no clumping.

So let’s jump into the review:

The Wand:

Top: L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black
Bottom: Voluminous Million Lashes Excess



Excess tapers in at the middle with lots of defining bristles
Is amazing. It’s a very long brush, I compared it to my Voluminous Carbon Black and it’s definitely longer than it. It has kinda had a bump where it widens new the tip of the wand, which I honestly hadn’t even noticed until a few days after trying the mascara. The wand is a big star here. It helps separate lashes for definition, and is one that doesn’t need a lot of work to help apply mascara to lashes quickly or evenly. It’s great at not creating clump at all, while building fantastic volume.

Packaging:

Usually I wouldn’t necessary review this part, but since part of the pitch is about the anti-clump wiper, I thought I’d describe that a little bit. It definitely helps the mascara from now being gloopy or messy. It doesn’t though, make the mascara too dry or hard to work with like I feel Clump Crusher by Covergirl can be like. It works great!

The Formula:

Is really smooth out of the container, especially when I compared it to Voluminous Carbon Black, which is thicker, goopier, and not nearly as smooth. Excess’s formula is smooth and wet first out of the tube. I was a little worried when I first applied it to my lashes because of how wet it is. However, in no time it dried much to the feel of the Rocket by Maybelline or even the texture of Cat Eyes by Maybelline. It’s definitely not goopy or smeary at all, which I love. While I really love the Voluminous Carbon Black, it would smear and smudge pretty easily, while this stays put all day. I would most definitely say that this mascara is the L’Oreal version of The Rocketbut a million times better!

The Impact:

 

Is huge. In just a matter of a few simple swipes, this mascara makes my lashes so dramatic and full of volume. But they are defined, clump free, and so long looking! Seriously, the first time I put it on, I was shocked by how great my lashes looked! My mom saw them and instantly went to Walgreens to buy this same mascara because of how great it looked!  

I would most definitely say that this mascara is much like Rocket, so if you love that, you love this, except there are two reasons why Excess is better: it doesn’t hurt the base of my lashes and it’s a breeze to take off! It comes off super easily with my Simple Eyemakeup Remover pads! Which is something I love!

I can’t say enough great things about this mascara! I think it could even be my new holy grail

Wanna see my thoughts on other mascaras? Check out The Rocket vs. Clump Crusher and Voluminous Carbon Black!

2 comments:

  1. How does this compare to Clump Crusher? I have the waterproof Million Lash (loved it)and it's almost time for a new one. At the time of purchase I had just bought mega plush and cat eyes both by Maybelline but neither of them were what I wanted. My boyfriend asked if I had on falsies so to me that says something. I saw this and the packaging got me interested but I figured I'll look at reviews online before a purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Clump Crusher too. I'd say that Excess maybe is a little bit more dramatic and voluminous. I'd also say that Excess can become a little clumpy and spidery looking, while Clump Crusher doesn't that that same problem :)

    ReplyDelete