Monday, December 31, 2012

My Favorites of 2012


Instead of a December favorites, I decided that I would do a big crazy favorites of 2012 post, to show the things that I’ve enjoyed the most. I always find it interesting to see what people love enough to put it in this category. And since a lot of things impressed me this year, I’ll just jump right in!

Face Products!

Up and Up Cleansing Towelettes

I’ve tried a lot of cleansing wipes and makeup removers this year. From expensive to cheap, these are the best value for how well they work. I really enjoyed Neutrogena’s Night Calming ones and Simple’s pleasantly surprised me, but so much can be said for these wipes being under $4. They take off my mascara and face makeup, and that’s exactly what I ask for.

Clean and Clear Continuous Control Cleanser
Source}
I’m in love with this cleanser. When I struggled awhile back with breaking out last spring and winter, I didn’t know what products to try. I was drawn to this because it has Benzoyl Peroxide in it, instead of Silicic Acid. And it really has helped. I’m definitely a believer in it.

MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural  
I love this powder. I’ve mentioned it a lot on my blog, but it really has been such a great product for me. When I want more coverage (but still natural looking) I use this as a setting powder over my BB creams. On days that I just want to quickly do my makeup (which I’ve been doing for over the past month), I’ll just put this over my primer and go. It’s perfect.

Sigma F30 Large Powder Brush


I didn’t think a powder brush could make such a huge difference in how my makeup is applied, but this brush has made my MAC powder looks amazing. The brush is so dense and soft. It cleans well, retains shape beautifully, and has never shed one hair. I love it!

MAC 168 Brush
I’ve had an iffy relationship with this brush this year. It’s shed a little. It definitely gets stained from my blush. And it was kind of expensive. But after using the Sigma version, and an ELF blush brush, I can safely say that despite the slight shedding, it’s worth the money. It applies my blush effortlessly and evenly. It has the right density, the right length of hairs, and the perfect shape.

Eye Products

MAC Painterly Paint Pot

I have no clue how I lived my life without this product. It makes the perfect, flawless base for applying eyeshadow, and makes it stay so much longer. I’ve tried Urban Decay’s Primer Potion and NARS Eyeshadow primer, and neither can compare to this. This is a product that I can’t live without. The second I run out, I’m running to MAC to buy another.

MAC 217 Crease Brush
This is without a doubt my favorite eye brush I own. It has made applying shadow to the crease so much easier and made the look so much crisper. It’s worth the price, and I probably should invest in another, since this is one that I use every single day.

Covergirl Shimmering Sands

If you don’t own this trio, you definitely need to go to Target or Walmart and pick it up. I think it’s around $4, and is my go to look. Every time I wear this, I get tons of compliments. It’s natural and pretty. It just is beautiful. If I could only own one palette, this would kill my Naked palettes.

MAC Satin Taupe
Source}
This is my other favorite shadow. Everyone talks about how amazing this color is, and the hype is so accurate. It’s dramatic and natural at the same time. It blends beautifully. It could be a crease or an allover lid color. It’s a shadow that I’m so happy I picked up from MAC.

MAC Technakohl Liner

While I found a drugstore version I like as well, there is nothing that compares to the staying power of this liner. It stays black, doesn’t turn gray, and stays put for 12+ hours. As soon as I use up all of my Physician’s Formula eyeliner, I’m heading to MAC to buy this again.

Maybelline Colossal Cat Eyes Mascara

I’ve used a lot of mascaras this year, but without a doubt, this is my favorite. It surprises me to hear that this doesn’t have the best reviews, because I love it. I love the shape of the brush, the formula, and the effect it has on the lashes. I really notice a huge difference between this and my other mascaras I’ve used. It doesn’t clump even after multiple layers. And the packaging is adorable. I’ve also loved the Covergirl Clump Crusher so far, but I’ve only used it a week, so it has to be second place.

Hair Products!

Herbal Essence “Hello Hydration” Shampoo and Conditioner
Source}
No matter what shampoo and conditioner I use, I always go back to this duo. I’ve tried Redken’s Smooth Down, Pantene’s Visibly Smooth Nature Fusion, and tons of others, but this is the shampoo and conditioner that always leave my hair soft, smooth, frizz free, and smelling great. Plus, it’s super affordable.

Redken’s Real Control Slim Supreme

I’m not always the best at using leave-in conditioners or other products. I don’t like the heaviness or the oil that they seem so cause. But this product is really great, particularly for summer frizzy hair. It’s light, silky, and can be applied to wet or dry hair.

Remington Keratin Therapy Curling Wand (1 inch)

So my entire life I’ve wanted to be able to curl my hair, and have it stay. And never could I do it. I had some slight success with flat iron curls (but it’s so time consuming and tiring), but I wanted to try a curling wand. And I don’t know if it’s the curling wand style or this particular one, but I actually get curls that stay all day. I love this thing so much! It’s super affordable (like $29 at Target I think), and really works.

Nail Polish and Products!

Essie Chinchilly

Without a doubt, this is my favorite nail polish from this year. I’ve never used a polish as much as I’ve used this one. I can’t describe how much I love the gray coloring of Chinchilly.

Wet N’ Wild I Red a Good Book
Source}
I was a little hesitant to try out this polish mostly because of it being Wet N’ Wild. Would it chip in a day? Would the color be odd? This exceeded my expectations immensely. First, it stayed for over a week. Yes. Usually Essie lasts about 4-6 days for me. This didn’t chip or crack until like day 8 at least. It’s a beautiful bright red, and only like $2.99. I’m definitely going to try out more colors in 2013!

Revlon Red Carpet
Source}

This is my absolute favorite red I own. It’s just the perfect red for my skintone. It is much cheaper than Essie and OPI and I think better quality. It’s definitely a staple for me.

Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Anti-Chip Top Coat

I hate the hassle of waiting like hours for my Essie top coat to dry. Nothing is worse. Well, this has been like a miracle product for me. It claims to have your nails dry in 30 seconds, and while that may be a bit of a lie, it’s definitely a minute or two. If you love painting yours nails, but hate how slow drying can be, try this. You won’t regret it.

Other Favorites

Target’s Mossimo Boyfriend V-Necks

I’m a sucker for plain t-shirts for layering with cardigans and scarves. I think I wear this combination at least 3 or 4 days during the week. And in warmer weather, I love wearing these shirts alone. They are incredibly cheap (usually like $6 or $8) and come in such pretty colors! I own white, black, gray, coral, dark blue, light blue, green, and a new mint green. I love them!

Victoria’s Secret Pink V-Necks
Source}

These are usually the 2 for $28 shirts (checking their website, it now says they are 2 for $30...oh well). Recently I picked up a couple and fell in love. They are so comfy and cute! Plus they have the little dog logo which I love on the bottom. I have a red and a blush pink color and they are so great for layering as well. I definitely see myself buying several more in 2013.

Bath and Body Works Shower Gel in Sweet on Paris, Twisted Peppermint, and Vanilla Bean Noel
Source}
I love Bath and Body Works shower gel because it all smells so good! This year I fell in love with these three scents (too bad two are seasonal and one was limited time). I’m really loving sweet scents this year, so if you have any recommendations for a 2013 one, let me know?

Bath and Body Works Wallflowers

I’ve been in love with these since my freshman year. They are so awesome for dorm rooms, which tend to not be the freshest spaces in the world. My favorites from this year included Lilac, Pumpkin Cupcake (love this so much!!), White Barn No.1 Nutmeg and Spice, and Twisted Peppermint. I’m not sure what my winter scents will be like after Christmas (I’m not a fan of their global collection or their beach scents…so if you’ve tried frosted cupcake, let me know if it’s a good one that’s strong enough to smell).

Bath and Body Works Country Chic Perfume
This might become a shocker, but I actually love this scent more than Marc Jacobs Daisy. That’s how much I love it. I love the light floral, lemon smell. It reminds me of spring and happiness and my boyfriend (he’d give me back massages with this lotion). It’s without a doubt my favorite.

Scarves!

This year I've really gotten back into loving scarves! They are so cute and some of the new ones I've picked up are so adorable! My favorites are either the floral one my little gave me or these leopard ones I picked up at Target back in October!

Vera Bradley Large Duffle in Island Blooms

I know I talk about this nonstop, but it really has been so handy this year for going home on the weekends. Not only is it super helpful for over packing (which I do best), but it’s also just so pretty!

Starbucks Iced White Chocolate Mochas

My all time favorite drink! I'm addicted to Starbucks and usually, this is what I get. It's definitely been my favorite drink of 2012!

Well, I think that covers a lot of my loves this year. Tell me what you loved this year, maybe I’ll have to try those out! Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment